During January’s SKILLS22 conference, Alicia Hardy from White and Case gave us some suggestions to ensure a law firm is successful when implementing innovative solutions. As a result of further reflection, I created this simple flowchart to help you clarify your course of action:
Creating a Strategy for Innovation Success
Think about these five areas carefully before embarking on any new course of action.
Success is 90% in the planning
- Align your team with your organisation’s strategy
- Maintain clarity of mission without being too prescriptive
- Identify quick wins amongst the longer term goals
Put your people first
- Employ both a “top down and bottom up” approach to maximise buy in
- Understand the capabilities within your team and deploy your talent wisely
- Establish champions across your organisation to generate engagement
Let your branding do the talking
- Create a distinct brand which works across all your services and activities
- Establish your brand so that your services are instantly recognisable
- Tell your stories and build your brand across all relevant channels of communication
Does your service deliver?
- Embrace new technology to give your organisation a competitive edge
- Redefine or improve processes to deliver services in line with your strategies
- Listen to your clients (end-users) and be clear about the problem you’re trying to fix
- Keep an open mind about everything
- Acknowledge the things that don’t go well because you always learn something from your mistakes
- If you come to the conclusion that you need expert input, reach out to your network and talk to someone
- Above all, be bold in your ambitions!